Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Of Socks and Scarves

I have been productive this past week. It makes me happy. I finished my Longitudinal socks days ago. I love them. They match perfectly. I don't know if I'm going to keep them or if I'll send them off to my mother (who is the current owner of every pair of socks which I have ever knit. She wears them. I don't), but one of us will have toasty toes this winter. I highly recommend this pattern. It's a real kick to knit.


Once the socks were finished, I reached over next to me and grabbed Les Miserables. It was time to finish it. As it turns out, I had even less yarn than I previously thought (which isn't a huge surprise. I did make a shawl out of one of the hanks (Swallowtail, if you care) and so the second ball, which I thought would last for the better part of a week bare minimum, ended up lasting only a day and a half. This is the part where I pat myself on the back, because when I looked down at the tiny ball I thought," I don't have enough for a whole repeat. I'd better end it soon." The ending portion of the pattern is 18 rows.

I had 1 yard left when I cut my tail to close my bind off. I guessed right down to a yard. Crazy.
I pray for the day when I encounter a green yarn that doesn't bleed all over everything. Seriously.
From there, it was end weaving and hand felting. I'd never hand felted anything before, but I was pretty sure I knew what I was doing--hot water, agitate, cold water, agitate--and son of a gun I did. My sink looks like it was attacked by a green dog, but the felting process itself went quite well.

Half an hour later my scarf was 2 feet shorter and drying out on our porch as the sun set. I love it. It's gorgeous. The fabric looks a bit like a boucle, with little blebs of yarn poking through the felty mess. I'm going to have to wear it with a pin because it's a bit short, but I'm really glad I made this one.



In other news, I'm 2 repeats away from starting the body of Wakame, so hopefully there will be exciting pictures from now on on the sweater front. We're getting ready to move in not too long, so that may throw a hitch in the knitting productivity giggle, but I'm optimistic for the time being.

No comments:

Post a Comment